The Church was built in 1935 as a place of worship for the pioneer families of the Mackenzie country. Congregations of the 3 main Churches worship regularly in the Church, which offers awe inspiring views of the lake and mountains through the altar window.The foundation stone was laid by HRH the Duke of Gloucester, on January 15, 1935.The builders of the Church were instructed that the site was to be left undisturbed, and that even the matagouri bushes surrounding the building were to remain. Rocks which happened to be on the wall lines were not to be removed. The stones for the wall were to be procured within a radius of 5 miles of the site, and were to be unchipped and in their natural condition.The Church of the Good Shepherd is interdenominational and services are held regularly throughout the year.
Weddings and baptisms can be conducted by arrangement with the clergy. ~ Bernard